Wednesday, September 1, 2010

desire

(volleyball uniform)
driven by desire. fueled by sweat.

after a 3 day weekend.. a rough one i might add ..
i decided to go to volleyball practice even though i wasn't fully well ..
today i learned that my approach for a volleyball spike was supposedly weird looking .. three guys pointed it out to me and tried to show me how it's suppose done .. they said i shouldn't be facing straight when i jump but that i should turn to my side and turn my shoulders when swinging my arm down and having a strong snap .. after many tries before and after practice .. my approach was finally looking like the approach that the guys were talking about .. (i think) one of the guys took the time after practice .. although brief ... to help me get a better idea of it .. he did it step by step and i followed .. hopefully this new spike approach can help me hit more effective spikes and improve my spiking skills .. it's not only speed and strength but form and skill .. i thank them for teaching me something new today :)

you might think that what you're doing is your best .. when it isn't .. you are always capable of so much more .. you just have to push yourself bit by bit ... open your mind to new ways .. and never be afraid to try .. no matter how silly you might look trying it.

fel 2010/8/31

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm... would you mind showing me this "approach" later?

    "they said i shouldn't be facing straight when i jump but that i should turn to my side and turn my shoulders when swinging my arm down and having a strong snap"

    I am curious about what they could have meant by this? The spike approach does have its fundamental moves, and everything added to it is already personal style, (flair, even). Let's just make sure that you are learning proper technique (that Coach Higgins has been showing you in practice) and not just somebody else's "way" of spiking. =)

    It's great to see you growing in the sport, and I understand why your friends are so willing to help you get better. Over the past weeks you've shown a lot of potential for volleyball and a strong desire to get better. From the little that I see from our side of the court, you have been making great progress, and you ARE learning how to hit with the proper fundamentals.

    "... open your mind to new ways .. and never be afraid to try .. no matter how silly you might look trying it."

    Definitely a winning attitude =) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete